Treating trauma during COVID-19: Factors for adapting treatment to telehealth
This is the second in a series of two live, interactive webinar presentations (90 minutes each) which will focus on how best to deliver treatment of PTSD and trauma during the COVID-19 pandemic. Designed for intermediate practitioners, this presentation will focus on differences in treatment approach for PTSD between in-person and telehealth delivery, address assessment and treatment concerns related to symptom changes associated with environmental stressors (including COVID-19), and consider the impact on treatment as quarantine and stay-at-home orders are relaxed. Ample time will be allotte...Read mored at the end of the presentation to address audience questions. Less...
- Identify at least three advantages to telehealth delivery of PTSD treatment.
- Describe two ways to manage the needs of patients with various comorbid psychiatric disorders while implementing prolonged exposure (PE) via telehealth.
- Explain one inter- and one intra-state stressor that drives changes in treatment of PTSD due to implementation and relaxation of stay-at-home/quarantine orders in response to COVID-19.
Thursday, May 21, 2020
01:00 PM EDT - 02:30 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
About the speakers
Loren Post, PhD
Joshua Nadeau, PhD
CE Information - Earn 1.5 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
CE Process Info
A Contuing Education Certificate for this program will be obtained usingthe website CE Go. After the event, you will receive an email with a link to CE Go. This link will be emailed to the account you used to register for this event.
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete the mandatory evaluation form
- Download your CE Certificate in PDF form
Please Note: To receive CE credit, you must be logged into the webinar for the entire program; partial credit is not available.
1 pm ET Welcome and speaker introductions
1:05 pm Evidence-based PTSD treatment via telehealth
• Feasibility and effectiveness
• Dropout, compliance, patient preferences
• Prolonged exposure in person vs. telehealth
1:25 pm PTSD and co-occurring disorders
• Increased severity of PTSD transdiagnostic symptoms in response to COVID-19 concerns
• Normalizing concerns and reactions while setting expectations for symptom improvement in response to PE
• Managing co-occurring disorders and life stressors throughout PE treatment
1:50 pm Virtual PE for PTSD context and clinical considerations
• Conducting virtual imaginal exposures
• In vivo exposures during social distancing with special attention to safety behaviors
• Pros and cons of both current telehealth and future return to the clinic
2:15 pm Moderated Q&A
2:30 pm Where to get additional information on this topic