Superhero Therapy: Helping Clients Cope with Ongoing Global Trauma
In the light of the recent global events - wars, violence, the ongoing pandemic, and the rapidly rising mental health crisis, we need to make mental health accessible and relatable.
People all across the world are struggling with loneliness and PTSD and yet most either don’t know how to process their traumatic experiences or have been shamed for trying. Many teens and adults turn to TV shows, comic books, movies, and video games initially to escape their emotional pain, only to later form meaningful social connections through these avenues.
This is where Superhero Therapy comes in. Super...Read morehero Therapy (ST) refers to incorporating popular culture into evidence-based therapy, such as CBT or ACT as a way to destigmatize the client’s mental health experience. ST utilizes the client's passions as a way to formulate the client's strengths that can be used to practice mindfulness (e.g., mindful gaming or Spider-Man meditation), as well as the willingness to face their emotions and better understand their painful experiences. And the best part is, you don't have to be an expert in popular culture to use this approach. Your client is the expert. All you have to be is open-minded and curious.
This training will focus on how to use ST to help teen and adult clients manage anxiety, depression, and PTSD symptoms, feel understood and supported, to expand the client’s emotional vocabulary, and to assist the client in becoming their own version of a superhero in real life (IRL), fostering posttraumatic growth. No previous experience with popular culture is necessary to participate in this training. Capes are optional. Less...
- List 3 psychological benefits of Superhero Therapy.
- Describe the detrimental impacts of loneliness on mental and physical health.
- Describe how to incorporate pop culture examples into treatment in order to help clients to manage their feelings of loneliness.
- Beginner and Intermediate
Saturday, July 30, 2022
11:00 AM EDT - 02:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
Click Here to Register
About the speaker
Janina Scarlet, PhD
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.
DisclosurePresenter Disclosure: Financial disclosures: The presenter(s) receive an honorarium for presenting this webinar. There are no nonfinancial relationships in the products or services described, reviewed, evaluated or compared in this presentation.
Commercial Support: There is no commercial support for any products to disclose.