Ethics & Cultural Diversity Training: Termination, Abandonment, Cultural Humility and Ethical Considerations
Just as it is an acceptable and reasonable practice to screen incoming patients, it is acceptable and reasonable to know when to end patient relationships that are no longer therapeutic or appropriate based on patient behaviors. It is critical, however, that the clinician end the relationship in a manner that will not lead to claims of discrimination or abandonment. This session will address proper termination, proper referral, and risk management practices.
Cultural humility suggests remaining humble and aware of one's deficient knowledge of other cultures. Cultural humilit...Read morey also requires us to be critical of our own cultural biases. Cultural humility includes the ability to maintain an interpersonal stance that is other-oriented (or open to the other) in relation to aspects of cultural identity that are most important to the client. Cultural humility is different from other culturally based ideals because it focuses on self-humility rather than achieving a state of knowledge or awareness. This workshop will address all ethical aspects of cultural sensitivity in the current climate. Less...
- Explain the four elements of a proper termination.
- List the three elements of a proper referral.
- Describe when it is ethically appropriate to terminate the relationship with a client even if the client objects.
- Define “emotional threat,” the feelings associated with it, and what it evokes in others.
- Identify the role of emotional triggers in eliciting feelings of shame, humiliation, anxiety or rage in self and others.
- Intermediate to Advanced
Saturday, March 19, 2022
11:00 AM EDT - 02:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Pamela Harmell, Ph.D.
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours including
3 Ethics 3 CE Hour
1.5 Cultural Hour
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.