“The Heartland Protocol”: Perinatal Mental Health 2-Day Certificate Training
Over the course of two days, perinatal mental health experts Elizabeth Lowder MSW, LCSW and Kim Martino-Sexton NFC will train participants on the importance of utilizing their “Heartland Protocol” for PMADs. This protocol involves in-depth learning and experiential exercises related to empathy skills, assessment and referral practices, and best practices for follow-up care. Important factors emphasized throughout this training are cultural congruency, societal expectations for motherhood, and self-care for clients and providers alike. This training is designed to benefit moms in the perinatal lifestage as well as their families. Professionals including, but not limited to, social workers, nurses, physicians, therapists, counselors, case managers, OB/GYNS, midwives, doulas, childbirth professionals, and other social service providers and mental health workers or anyone interested in more effectively serving women with PMAD are the target audience for this training.
Registration includes Admission, Training Materials, Door Prizes and a Gift Bag. All completed trainees will be listed on our national online registry of "Heartland Protocol" Approved Providers and receive a Certificate of Completion.
What is Heartland PMAD Consultants, LLC?
Heartland PMAD Consultants exists to consult and train healthcare and social service providers in innovative, effective, wraparound methods to address perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMAD).
Their work with social service agencies, hospitals, OBGYN & pediatric practices across the nation can help everyone—from the front desk staff to the nursing team to physicians and administrators—understand how the Heartland Protocol, can
• improve the health of perinatal women
• enhance patient retention
• increase patient referrals
• improve patient adherence to treatment recommendations
This interactive training will equip you and your entire organization with the skills and tools needed to best serve moms at risk for PMADs.
Training Topics include:
• how to hold space for your clients
• step-by-step empathy skills
• comprehensive assessment measurements that are easy to use
• multi-disciplinary referral techniques to make your agency run smoothly
• differentiating between typical postpartum adjustment and clinical diagnoses
• how societal expectations for motherhood are hurting our patients
• understanding how diversity issues effect moms in the perinatal life stage
• Guest speakers discussing medication management, Substance Use Disorder, and pregnancy and infant loss.
• Panel discussion with real moms sharing their experiences with PMADs
The Heartland Protocol Training is ideal for social workers, nurses, physicians, psychologists, counselors, therapists, OB/GYN, doulas, childbirth educators, intake staff and anyone committed to bettering the health and wellness of moms and babies!
Meet the Trainers
As experts in perinatal mental health, Kim Martino-Sexton and Elizabeth Lowder are committed to supporting all moms everywhere by encouraging a person-centered, empathic, and inclusive approach to treatment . They provide coordinated, multi-disciplinary trainings and consultative engagements customized for each audience. Having worked for healthcare systems and advocated for moms, they know how it works—and it works best when we all work together.
Kim and Elizabeth have almost forty years combined experience working with women in the perinatal life stage in roles including peer advocate, doula, childbirth educator, case manager, therapist and social worker.