Grief Therapy Techniques: a foundation for clinicians
There has always been a deep need for therapists, social workers, and counselors to provide grief and bereavement support to clients. And yet the majority of Masters and PhD programs in theses fields do not require coursework in grief therapy approaches and techniques. This leaves many clinicians trying to adapt other approaches which, in many cases, are not appropriate or evidence-informed in working with grieving clients. This session will provide clinicians a strong foundation in grief counseling and therapy techniques. It will also provide clinician evaluation tools for assessing whether t...Read morerauma responses or depression may need to be addressed prior to or in tandem with grief counseling approaches. The workshop presumes a basic understanding of modern grief theories, including Continuing Bonds Theory and the Dual Process Model of Bereavement. Pre-reading will be sent out for those participants unfamiliar with these models. Less...
- Discuss grief counseling and therapy and assessment for determining appropriate interventions.
- Describe the foundational tools to employ the most up to date and evidence-informed grief counseling and therapy techniques.
- Identify specific ‘stuck points’ common in grief and practice tools and interventions appropriate to addresses these challenges.
- Identify intersections of and disjunctions between grief responses and trauma responses, including the impact of trauma responses on the on the bereavement process and on effective grief counseling.
Tuesday, December 01, 2020
01:00 PM EST - 04:15 PM ESTRegister for this Webinar
Click Here to Register
About the speakers
Eleanor Haley, MS
Litsa Williams MA, LCSW-C
1:00-1:30 Understanding grief counseling vs grief therapy
1:30-2:30 A review of clinical therapeutic approaches to grief counseling and therapy
2:45-3:00 Grief Group - determining appropriateness
3:00-4:00 Stuck point and targeting interventions
• Stigmatized deaths and support systems
• Guilt and regret
• Anger and blame
4:00-4:15 Application to practice and close
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Hours
American Psychological Association
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
Texas Board of Social Work Examiners
Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners
CE Process Info
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. After the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
• Complete evaluation forms for the event
• Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 877 248 6789 or by email at [email protected]