From Oppression to Liberation: Applying the Cognitive Therapy of Oppression and Other Strategies
This presentation reframes, reorients, and integrates our basic understanding of the major theories of psychotherapy and provides a new range of evidence based techniques. The classical psychotherapy theories were historically conceived and developed by privileged white males who generally did not at the time consider addressing the global phenomenon of oppression and its alleviation. As a result classical theories assume that American culture is basically sane and sound. This may have caused a blind spot in the practice of both counseling and diagnosis that largely ignores phenomena such as s...Read moreystemic racism, misogyny, homophobia, and oppression in general. And of course, trauma is intimately intertwined with oppression. Multicultural therapy could be seen as an admirable fix to this problem, but it largely functions as an add-on to compensate for the shortcomings of the classical theories—just another chapter in the theories textbook. This workshop provides a cognitive, humanistic, experiential, global reframe of the counseling and psychotherapy enterprise that shifts the focus toward liberation, true empowerment, and a greater degree of freedom from oppression for clients. But the major focus of this presentation is to provide advanced techniques that are specifically oriented around the theme of liberation from oppression, with major, second-order, change as their goal. This topic is especially relevant for this time period. Less...
- Discuss how to apply advanced techniques for clients of oppressed cultures and families
- Explain the limits of CBT and other standard therapies in the context of oppression and liberation
- Explain how oppressed people are typically highly perceptive, including being perceptive of their therapists
Saturday, October 09, 2021
11:00 AM EDT - 02:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
About the speaker
Fred J. Hanna, PhD
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Credit Hours including
3 Cultural Competency Hour
American Psychological Association
Association of Social Work Boards
National Board for Certified Counselors
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
New York Education Department Board for Licensed Psychoanalysts
New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology
New York State Education Department's State Board for Marriage and Family Therapy
CE Process Info
Each professional is responsible for the individual requirements as stipulated by his/her licensing agency. Please contact your individual licensing board/regulatory agency to review continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. Please note: You must attend "live" (in real-time) to earn CE's.
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. Before the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
- Complete evaluation forms for the event
- Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 888-498-5578 or by email at email@example.com
Please Note: Emails for this event will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org". Please make sure to check your spam/junk folder in case those emails get "stuck". We'd also suggest "whitelisting" email@example.com. This tells your email client that you know this sender and trust them, which will keep emails from this contact at the top of your inbox and out of the junk folder.
1. This webinar will be hosted via Zoom, and you may be prompted to download or upgrade your Zoom app if using a mobile device. A strong WiFi connection will be required for best quality.
2. We recommend clicking your "Join Webinar" button early and checking that your speakers are on before the event begins. Please do not worry about being seen or heard! Attendee video feeds and mics are turned off by default when entering a webinar. You will be able to ask questions via the Q&A feature.
3. The webinar will be recorded and available for review by attendees for 30 days. Please respect that no copying, recording, or distribution of live session content is allowed. CE's are provided for the "live" sessions only. CE's will not be available for the recordings.