Continuing Bonds and Attachment in Grief
In the late 1990s grief theory and research saw a significant paradigm shift, moving away from the early “grief work”, stage-based models. Continuing Bonds theory emerged during this era, normalizing the ongoing relationships that individuals often maintain with deceased loved ones. In the years since the emergence of this theory, researchers and clinicians have examined the relationship between attachment theory and continuing bonds. Though continuing bonds theory is one of the most widely accepted and applied models among grief therapists and counselors, many clinicians who do not specialize...Read more in grief have limited knowledge of continuing bonds theory and its applications. This session will provide a strong foundation in continuing bonds theory and attachment theory as it relates to grief and loss. Less...
- Discuss the principles of continuing bonds theory, the relevant research, and its relationship to other grief theories.
- Identify the significant paradigm shift introduced through continuing bonds theory.
- Apply attachment theory and John Bowlby’s grief theory on bereavement and continuing bonds theory.
- Discuss and apply concrete tools and activities for assisting grievers in applying a continuing bonds approach to their grief.
Wednesday, May 26, 2021
01:00 PM EDT - 04:15 PM EDTRegister for this Webinar
Click Here to Register
About the speakers
Litsa Williams MA, LCSW-C
Eleanor Haley, MS
1:00-1:15 Introduction, data review, and defining grief
1:15-1:45 Advancing Beyond 'Stage' and 'Task' Models of Grief
1:45-2:15 Understanding Continuing Bonds Theory
2:45-3:00 Re-grief and Continuing Bonds
3:00-4:00 Attachment Theory and Grief
- Bowlby and Parkes’ on attachment theory and grief
- Current applications of attachment theory to grief
- Attachment in adaptive and maladaptive continuing bonds
4:00-4:15 Tools and close.
CE Information - Earn 3 CE Hours
American Psychological Association
New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work
New York Education Department Board of Creative Arts Therapy
New York Education Department for Licensed Mental Health Counselors
Texas Board of Social Work Examiners
Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners
CE Process Info
A continuing education certificate for the event will be obtained using the website, CE-Go. After the event, you will receive an email containing a link to CE-Go. (This link will be sent to the email account you used to register for the event).
Upon accessing the CE-Go website, you will be able to:
• Complete evaluation forms for the event
• Download your continuing education certificate in a PDF format
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the CE-Go process, please contact CE-Go at 877 248 6789 or by email at email@example.com